Guimaras Wedding Destination
Mango Country of the Visayas
Guimaras is well-known
for its agricultural crops, particularly mangoes, where
some 50,000 of these trees are planted. The Guimaras
Island is famous for producing the sweetest mangoes
in the world, the golden carabao mango.
This sweet treat
is not the only thing this island province has to offer.
Its capital, Jordan, has become a pilgrimage site because
of the popular Holy Week presentation called Ang Pagtaltal
sa Guimaras, a re-enactment of the Passion of Christ.
It also has an array of white sand beaches and small
coral islands, most of which are still to be discovered
by the world, making them a great place to commune with
1. Population –
151, 238 (as of 2007 Census)
2. Land Area – 604.6 sq. km
3. Capital – Jordan
4. Language/Dialect – Hiligaynon, English, and
- Nueva Valencia
- San Lorenzo
The province is home of the famous and the best export-quality
mangoes in the Philippines. Mango plantations are scattered
throughout the island.
The wharf was named in honor of its builder, Gen. Douglas
McArthur. It connected four barangays of Buenavista
together and promoted migration from Iloilo.
It is the sole monastery in the Philippines run by the
order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance
This is a Lenten activity by the locals which re-enacts
the Passion of Christ.
A race among native outriggers in the strait between
the island province of Guimaras and Iloilo City. Called
“paraw’ in the local dialect, these native
outriggers faithfully copy in materials and design sailboats
which were carried to Panay in 1212 A.D. by the first
settlers from Borneo.
Places of Interest
Wharf (Buenavista Wharf)
Location: Brgy. Sto. Rosario, Buenavista, Guimaras
Formerly known as “Buenavista Wharf”, it
was built by the US Corps of Engineers led by then 2nd
lieutenant Douglas McArthur in 1903. They were able
to develop a port and a road stretching to a mountain
at the right side of Sto. Rosario linking it to Ambulong,
Calingao and up to Punta Blanco (San Roque)
Location: Brgy. Supang, Buenavista, Guimaras
Camp Jossman was a US reservation camp established during
the American occupation. In 1912, an order from the
US high command came to vacate Camp Jossman and return
to the US. With this, all the structures then that were
established during the stay of the American soldiers
were all demolished. Now, it is being used by Water
District of Buenavista as water reservoir.
Location: Camp Jossman, Brgy. Supang, Buenavista, Guimaras
The range was composed of three trails, one in Tinadtaran,
in Nazaret and in the Supang located in Camp Jossman.
The center of Punta Blanco is located in Mount Sulangon.
The construction of Punta Blanco shooting range was
started in 1909.
Faro de Punta
Location: Brgy. Guisi – Brgy. Dolores, Nueva Valencia,
It was built by the Spanish government in 1894 -1896
as part of the Master Plan for the lighting of the Maritime
Coasts of the Philippine Archipelago. The plan was aimed
at lighting the Philippine Seas and channels to guide
ships in and through the most important sea channels
to the ports of Manila, Iloilo, and Cebu. The lighthouse
served as a navigational aid to the fishermen and sailors
cruising Panay Gulf. While the original lighthouse is
no longer operational a new one has been built by the
Philippine Coast Guard.
Location: Brgy. San Miguel, Buenavista, Guimaras
A summerhouse owned by Lopez family built in 1910 on
top of a huge rock. It overlooked the legendary islets
of the seven sins or the Siete Pecados. An ancient 18th
century lighthouse was built on one of the islet. On
the other side is the two-mile beach area of El Retiro
Beach Park. The National Historical Institute declared
it as a historical house on August 14, 2002.
Location: Brgy. Salvacion, Buenavista, Guimaras
It was built on July 8, 1946 by Philip Irabon, with
the financial assistance from Fil-Chinese Mr. Edward
Tan. The farmland was bought from the Adventist Mission
in Buenavista, Guimaras where the Fold now stands. It
offers elementary, secondary, vocational training, practical
arts, & science courses and serves as the home for
orphaned and destitute children.
Location: Inampulugan Island, Sibunag, Guimaras
The 1,067 hectares island resort of crocodile-shaped
Inampulugan is inhabited by a wealth of wild life such
as wild monkeys, deer, wild ducks, and different species
of rare birds. Its shores are lined with pockets of
coves that are abundant with marine life.
Location: Brgy. Sinapsapan, Jordan, Guimaras
The island has rich colorful marine life, visible and
exotic sea life.Yhis divine abode is a completely different
world from the sphere of commotion and jet set lifestyle
one is constantly exposed to. It has 8 native styled
cottages made of wood, nipa, and stones. It is ideal
for fishing, boating, swimming, snorkeling, island hopping,
and scuba diving.
Location: Brgy. Nauway, Sibunag, Guimaras
It is a white sand beach with native cottages and picnic
huts. Aside from swimming and snorkeling, anyone could
hire a boat for island hopping on the nearby islets.
Location: San Isidro, Sibunag, Guimaras
It is a small tropical island with an area of about
100,000 square meters. Nagarao has everything –
beaches with fine white sand, coral reefs, natural marine
life, trees, flowers, clusters of rainforest, birds
and butterflies. As well as boating, there is native
sailing. Island hopping is an alternative activity.
Location: Brgy. Espinosa, Jordan, Guimaras
It has 3 entrances, 3x4 ft. wide, 2x3 ft. wide, and
2x3 ft. wide. It is 200 meters long more or less and
could be found on top of the hill. Nipa huts are available
with a good glimpse of Iloilo Strait. The cave is abundant
with stalagmites and stalactites.
Location: Brgy. Lawi, Jordan, Guimaras
It is a small cave but the entire entrance is going
down more or less about 40-50 ft. deep. It has 3 openings
with gushing water. Studies show that it could be a
good source of spring water that can supply 2 barangays
with 429 households.
Location: Brgy. San Miguel, Jordan, Guimaras
It is the only trappist monastery in the Philippines
run by the order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance.
The Monastery, established in 1972, has an abbey and
a favorite retreat venue.
the Parish of Saint Isidor (Navalas Church)
Location: Brgy. Navalas, Buenavista, Guimaras
It is the oldest Roman Catholic Church in Guimaras,
established by Spanish priests in 1885.
sa Guimaras Festival
Place: Guimaras Province
Date: April 16 - 20
Varied activities are being showcased depicting the
cultural and historical heritage, livelihood, myth and
legendary stories portrayed in a cultural showcase,
street dancing and Sinadya (merrymaking). Spread over
a weeklong schedule, promoting its products, services
and milestones in an agri – trade fair/exhibits,
food festival, special events, nightly shows and entertainments
and Search for Mutya Ng Guimaras. Manggahan culminates
in a grand showcase of cultural festivals in a bid to
show the world that there is more to Guimaras than its
sweet, fiber and pest-free mangoes.
Place: Jordan, Guimaras
Date: Good Friday
This Lenten presentation staged by the townspeople of
Jordan was patterned to Oberammergau in South Bavaria,
Germany. It is the final act of play when Jesus was
taken off from the cross and laid on his mother’s
Place: Hoskyn, Jordan, Guimaras
Date: Every first week of May
For the past few years riding in “Layag de Bela”
or “Paraw” is the only means of transportation
in the area. To commemorate and to preserve the use
of “Layag”, the barangay organized “Layag
Festival”. Various activities were implemented
by the people to feel the spirit of the festivity such
as Paraw Regatta, mini Paraw Regatta, Pinta de Layag,
Street dancing and the highlights of the festivity is
the coronation of “Layag Queen”.