Guimaras – Mango Country
of the Visayas
Guimaras is well-known for
its agricultural crops, particularly mangoes, where some 50,000
of these trees are planted. The Guimaras Island is famous for
producing the sweetest mangoes in the world, the golden carabao
This sweet treat is not the
only thing this island province has to offer. Its capital, Jordan,
has become a pilgrimage site because of the popular Holy Week
presentation called Ang Pagtaltal sa Guimaras, a re-enactment
of the Passion of Christ. It also has an array of white sand
beaches and small coral islands, most of which are still to
be discovered by the world, making them a great place to commune
1. Population – 151,
238 (as of 2007 Census)
2. Land Area – 604.6 sq. km
3. Capital – Jordan
4. Language/Dialect – Hiligaynon, English, and Filipino
- Nueva Valencia
- San Lorenzo
The province is home of the famous and the best export-quality
mangoes in the Philippines. Mango plantations are scattered
throughout the island.
The wharf was named in honor of its builder, Gen. Douglas McArthur.
It connected four barangays of Buenavista together and promoted
migration from Iloilo.
It is the sole monastery in the Philippines run by the order
of Cistercians of the Strict Observance
Pagtaltal sa Guimaras
This is a Lenten activity by the locals which re-enacts the
Passion of Christ.
A race among native outriggers in the strait between the island
province of Guimaras and Iloilo City. Called “paraw’
in the local dialect, these native outriggers faithfully copy
in materials and design sailboats which were carried to Panay
in 1212 A.D. by the first settlers from Borneo.
Places of Interest
McArthur Wharf (Buenavista
Location: Brgy. Sto. Rosario, Buenavista, Guimaras
Formerly known as “Buenavista Wharf”, it was built
by the US Corps of Engineers led by then 2nd lieutenant Douglas
McArthur in 1903. They were able to develop a port and a road
stretching to a mountain at the right side of Sto. Rosario linking
it to Ambulong, Calingao and up to Punta Blanco (San Roque)
Camp Jossman Headquarters
Location: Brgy. Supang, Buenavista, Guimaras
Camp Jossman was a US reservation camp established during the
American occupation. In 1912, an order from the US high command
came to vacate Camp Jossman and return to the US. With this,
all the structures then that were established during the stay
of the American soldiers were all demolished. Now, it is being
used by Water District of Buenavista as water reservoir.
Punta Blanco Target
Location: Camp Jossman, Brgy. Supang, Buenavista, Guimaras
The range was composed of three trails, one in Tinadtaran, in
Nazaret and in the Supang located in Camp Jossman. The center
of Punta Blanco is located in Mount Sulangon. The construction
of Punta Blanco shooting range was started in 1909.
Faro de Punta Luzaran
Location: Brgy. Guisi – Brgy. Dolores, Nueva Valencia,
It was built by the Spanish government in 1894 -1896 as part
of the Master Plan for the lighting of the Maritime Coasts of
the Philippine Archipelago. The plan was aimed at lighting the
Philippine Seas and channels to guide ships in and through the
most important sea channels to the ports of Manila, Iloilo,
and Cebu. The lighthouse served as a navigational aid to the
fishermen and sailors cruising Panay Gulf. While the original
lighthouse is no longer operational a new one has been built
by the Philippine Coast Guard.
Location: Brgy. San Miguel, Buenavista, Guimaras
A summerhouse owned by Lopez family built in 1910 on top of
a huge rock. It overlooked the legendary islets of the seven
sins or the Siete Pecados. An ancient 18th century lighthouse
was built on one of the islet. On the other side is the two-mile
beach area of El Retiro Beach Park. The National Historical
Institute declared it as a historical house on August 14, 2002.
Location: Brgy. Salvacion, Buenavista, Guimaras
It was built on July 8, 1946 by Philip Irabon, with the financial
assistance from Fil-Chinese Mr. Edward Tan. The farmland was
bought from the Adventist Mission in Buenavista, Guimaras where
the Fold now stands. It offers elementary, secondary, vocational
training, practical arts, & science courses and serves as
the home for orphaned and destitute children.
Costa Aguada Island
Location: Inampulugan Island, Sibunag, Guimaras
The 1,067 hectares island resort of crocodile-shaped Inampulugan
is inhabited by a wealth of wild life such as wild monkeys,
deer, wild ducks, and different species of rare birds. Its shores
are lined with pockets of coves that are abundant with marine
Isla Naburot Resort
Location: Brgy. Sinapsapan, Jordan, Guimaras
The island has rich colorful marine life, visible and exotic
sea life.Yhis divine abode is a completely different world from
the sphere of commotion and jet set lifestyle one is constantly
exposed to. It has 8 native styled cottages made of wood, nipa,
and stones. It is ideal for fishing, boating, swimming, snorkeling,
island hopping, and scuba diving.
Jesa Mar Island
Location: Brgy. Nauway, Sibunag, Guimaras
It is a white sand beach with native cottages and picnic huts.
Aside from swimming and snorkeling, anyone could hire a boat
for island hopping on the nearby islets.
Naragao Island Resort
Location: San Isidro, Sibunag, Guimaras
It is a small tropical island with an area of about 100,000
square meters. Nagarao has everything – beaches with fine
white sand, coral reefs, natural marine life, trees, flowers,
clusters of rainforest, birds and butterflies. As well as boating,
there is native sailing. Island hopping is an alternative activity.
Location: Brgy. Espinosa, Jordan, Guimaras
It has 3 entrances, 3x4 ft. wide, 2x3 ft. wide, and 2x3 ft.
wide. It is 200 meters long more or less and could be found
on top of the hill. Nipa huts are available with a good glimpse
of Iloilo Strait. The cave is abundant with stalagmites and
Buho Ramirez Cave
Location: Brgy. Lawi, Jordan, Guimaras
It is a small cave but the entire entrance is going down more
or less about 40-50 ft. deep. It has 3 openings with gushing
water. Studies show that it could be a good source of spring
water that can supply 2 barangays with 429 households.
Location: Brgy. San Miguel, Jordan, Guimaras
It is the only trappist monastery in the Philippines run by
the order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance. The Monastery,
established in 1972, has an abbey and a favorite retreat venue.
Church of the Parish
of Saint Isidor (Navalas Church)
Location: Brgy. Navalas, Buenavista, Guimaras
It is the oldest Roman Catholic Church in Guimaras, established
by Spanish priests in 1885.
Manggahan sa Guimaras
Place: Guimaras Province
Date: April 16 - 20
Varied activities are being showcased depicting the cultural
and historical heritage, livelihood, myth and legendary stories
portrayed in a cultural showcase, street dancing and Sinadya
(merrymaking). Spread over a weeklong schedule, promoting its
products, services and milestones in an agri – trade fair/exhibits,
food festival, special events, nightly shows and entertainments
and Search for Mutya Ng Guimaras. Manggahan culminates in a
grand showcase of cultural festivals in a bid to show the world
that there is more to Guimaras than its sweet, fiber and pest-free
Ang Pagtaltal sa
Place: Jordan, Guimaras
Date: Good Friday
This Lenten presentation staged by the townspeople of Jordan
was patterned to Oberammergau in South Bavaria, Germany. It
is the final act of play when Jesus was taken off from the cross
and laid on his mother’s lap.
Place: Hoskyn, Jordan, Guimaras
Date: Every first week of May
For the past few years riding in “Layag de Bela”
or “Paraw” is the only means of transportation in
the area. To commemorate and to preserve the use of “Layag”,
the barangay organized “Layag Festival”. Various
activities were implemented by the people to feel the spirit
of the festivity such as Paraw Regatta, mini Paraw Regatta,
Pinta de Layag, Street dancing and the highlights of the festivity
is the coronation of “Layag Queen”.